St. Peter in Chains Cathedral
St. Peter in Chains Cathedral St. Peter in Chains Cathedral
Bulletin    LITURGY    News    Support our Charities    Event Calendar    Prayer Request    User Login        
St. Peter in Chains Cathedral

St. Peter in Chains Cathedral
St. Peter in Chains Cathedral
Fortnight for Freedom

Each year dioceses around the country arrange special events to highlight the importance of...
Read More

Register for News Story Emails.


St. Peter in Chains Cathedral
 
Site Navigation: Expand

>  Home Page
>  About St. Peters

>  Community

>  Our Faith

>  Cathedral Music

The Bells

The original tower bells were cast by George L. Hanks of this city in 1851 and dedicated on Jan.11, 1852.

A tower clock by Francis Stein (or Steine) was connected to those bells by July 4, 1852, and played tunes automatically at 3-hour intervals. The clock was replaced in the 1930s by the Verdin Co. of Cincinnati; the chime was sold and moved in 1955 to Saint Teresa of Avila in Cincinnati.

The hour bell cast by Hanks in the same year (1851) remains, and was rededicated along with a new set of 12 dutch bells on February 24, 1957 cast by the Petit and Fritsen Royal Bellfoundry of the Netherlands. In 2010 the tower bells were completely refurbished by the Verdin Co. of Cincinnati and a new keyboard and automatic playing mechanism was installed.

The bells were formally rededicated on Sunday, November 21, 2010, the Feast of Christ the King.

St. Peter in Chains Cathedral
St. Peter in Chains Cathedral

· Copyright ©2017 St. Peter in Chains Cathedral 513.421.5354 325 West 8th Street Cincinnati OH 45202 ·
· Contact St. Peter in Chains Cathedral · Privacy Policy · Webmaster · Browser and Email Settings ·
· Website by NonProfitDynamics.com ·
V.7